I would suggest doing these sessions every other day (eg Monday, Wednesday and Friday) with the interval session in the middle. And depending on your fitness levels go for a 15-20 minute walk or jog on two or three other days.
The benefits of exercise are numerous, including better sleep, weight loss, improved cardiovascular fitness and muscle toning. These sessions can be done at home or at the park. If you’re at the gym don’t be afraid to ask for help from the experts there. As always, consult a doctor before starting or modifying a fitness program. Adjust the workout to suit your fitness level. Take extended rests if you need and drink plenty of water.
And remember, less is more when you are starting out.
Session 1 – strength and cardio
(The session should take 30-45min including your warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squats with 1min rest/walk/running short shuttles. Repeat 1-2 times;
- 10 push-ups (wall, elevated, knees, toes, chest press machine at the gym) with 1min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times;
- 10-20 lunges (10 alternating stationary, 10 walking lunges or 10 on each leg) with 1min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times;
- 10 rows/pull-ups (seated horizontal row machine at gym, bent-over row with dumbbells, single arm row) with 1min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times.
- 10 opposing arm and leg or 20-30second hover (on knees or toes) with a 30-60second rest. Repeat.
Session 2 – Intervals
(Include 5-min warm-up and 5-10min cool-down)
Workout: Aim for 15-20minutes of intervals at a 1:2 work:recovery ratio. This might be walk fast:walk slow; walk:jog; harder run:easy run. Start with 20 seconds harder:40 seconds easy. You could do this around an oval or around the block. At the gym you could do it in 5min blocks with 5min on the rower, 5min on the treadmill and 5min on the bike. Modify as you go. If it feels too easy, try working harder for longer and having less rest. The main thing is to keep moving if you can.
Session 3 – strength and cardio
(Include 5min warm-up and 5-10min cool-down)
Workout: This session is a circuit-style session. There are five strength stations and five cardio stations and varying options for work and rest. Change stations on the minute work:rest options are 30second working:30sec rest; 40:20 or 50:10. Take longer or less breaks if you need. 2-3xthrough.
2-walk/run (on the spot, or 20m shuttles);
4-walk/forward-backwards shuttles (20m forward-20m backwards);
8-walk/jogging with high knees on the spot;
9-opposing arm and leg/hover;