Do these sessions every other day and try to run or walk for 30 minutes on two other days then go for a 60-90-minute or 10km run/walk on the weekend.
Session 1 – strength and cardio
(This session should take 30-45min including your warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squats, 10 push-ups + 2-3min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times;
- 10-20 lunges, 10 pull-ups with triceps kickback + 2-3min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times
- 20 step-ups, 10 shoulder press, 10 bicep curls + 2-3 min rest/walk/run. Repeat 1-2 times
- 10 opposing arm and leg or 30-45second hover (on knees or toes) with a 30-60second rest. Repeat.
Session 2 – Intervals
(Include a 5min warm-up and 5-10min cool-down)
Workout: Aim for 20-25 minutes of hill intervals at a 1:1 work:recovery ratio. This might be walk fast:walk slow; jog:walk; harder run:easy run. Try working 90 seconds harder:90 seconds easy. If you’re not ready for hills then stick to the flat. At the gym you could do it in 5-10min blocks using the cardio machines. And as always, if it feels too easy, try working harder for longer and having less rest. If it feels too hard, have more rest/recovery time.
Session 3 – strength and cardio
(The session should take 30-45min including your warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squat with shoulder press;
- 10 push-ups;
- 10 pull-ups/rows with triceps kickback;
- 10 lunge with bicep curls;
- 10 opposing arm and leg/30-45second hover;
- 3-5minutes x easy:hard shuttles (walking or running) with 30seconds harder:30seconds easier;
Repeat 1-3 more times from the top