This week I have added some bicep (front of the upper arm) and tricep (back of the upper arm) exercises into the workouts for some extra arm work.
Do these sessions every other day and try to do two easy 20-30minute walks or jogs on other days then a longer walk or run of 30-40min or 5-6km on the weekend.
Remember don’t progress if you are not ready – stick to earlier workouts if you are more comfortable doing so. And modify the workouts to suit your level of fitness. This might be by having more or less rest time or by reducing the number of repetitions in your strength work to ensure your form is not compromised.
Session 1 – Strength and cardio
(This session should take 30-45 minutes including your warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squats, 10 push-ups (wall, elevated, knees, toes, chest press machine at the gym), 1min rest + 1min walk/running short shuttles or 2min walk/running. Repeat.
- 10-20 step-ups/lunges, 10 rows/pull-ups (seated horizontal row machine at gym, bent-over row with dumbbells, single arm row), 1min rest + 1min walk/run or 2min walk/run Repeat.
- 10 shoulder press (with dumbbells, barbell, shoulder press machine if at gym), 10 bicep curls with dumbbells, 1min rest + 1min walk/run or 2min walk/run. Repeat.
- 10 tricep dips/tricep kickback with dumbbells (tricep pulldown machine at gym), 10 opposing arm and leg or 20-30second hover (on knees or toes), 1min rest + 1min walk/run or 2min walk/run. Repeat.
Session 2 – Intervals
(Include a 5-min warm-up and 5-10min cool-down)
Workout: Aim for 20-25 minutes of intervals at a 1:1 work:recovery ratio. This might be walk fast:walk slow; walk:jog; harder run:easy run. Try working 60 seconds harder:60 seconds easy. You could do this around an oval or around the block. At the gym you could do it in 5-10min blocks using the cardio machines. If it feels too easy, try working harder for longer and having less rest. If it feels too hard, have more rest/recovery time.
Session 3 – strength and cardio
(This session should take 30-45min including warm-up and cool-down)
- 7-10minutes x 40m shuttles with 3-5 squats at one end of the shuttle and 3-5 push-ups at the other. (You can walk or run the shuttles, or walk some and run some. Try to work hard without getting yourself breathless. If you’re at home you could run or march on the spot or skip for 20 seconds instead of shuttle runs);
- 7-10minutes x 40m shuttles with 6-10 lunges one end and 5 pull-ups/rows with dumbbells at the other;
- 7-10min x 40m shuttles with 5-10 ab curls/opposing arm and leg one end and 3-5 shoulder press with dumbbells at the other;