Well done – you have made the midway point! Don’t be too hard on yourself if you haven’t progressed as well as you had anticipated to this point. Sometimes you can get caught up watching the scales – improving your health overall is hopefully the top goal, and I think the biggest reward sometimes can be how you feel both physically and mentally from a healthier approach to living. Results sometimes can then follow.
Do these sessions every other day and try to run or walk for 20-30 minutes on two other days then go for a 50-minute or 7-8km run/walk on the weekend.
Session 1 – Strength and cardio
(This session should take 30-45 minutes including your warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squats, 10 push-ups, 10 pull-ups/rows + rest, walk or run 1-2 minutes. Repeat 1-2 times
- 10-20 lunges, 10 shoulder press, 10 bicep curls + rest, walk or run 1-2 minutes. Repeat 1-2 times
- 10-20 step-ups, 10 tricep dips/kickbacks, 10 opposing arm and leg/30-40sec hover + rest, walk or run 1-2 minutes. Repeat 1-2 times
Session 2 – Intervals
(Include a 5-min warm-up and 5-10min cool-down)
Workout: If you are keen to try some hill intervals then aim for 15-20 minutes of intervals at a 1:2 work:recovery ratio, that is uphill:downhill and could be walking or jogging. Try working 30 seconds uphill:1min downhill. If it feels too easy, try working harder for longer and having less rest. If it feels too hard, have more rest/recovery time. If you don’t feel ready for hill work then stick to the flat and repeat last week’s interval session of 20-30 minutes at a 1:1 ratio.
Session 3 – strength and cardio
(This session should take 30-45min including warm-up and cool-down)
- 10 squats/30-sec squat holds
- 10 push-ups/bench press
- 10-20 lunges
- 10 pull-ups/rows
(Take a rest between each exercise if you need)
- 5 minutes of easy:hard walk/running shuttles at a 1:1 ratio of 30 seconds hard:30seconds easy. At the gym you could use the bike, treadmill or rower.
Go back to the top and repeat 1-2 more times.
- Finish with core work – 10 opposing arm and leg or 30-sec hover (on knees or toes). Rest 30-60sec then Repeat 1-2 times.