Setting new goals is easy, it is keeping them that is hard.
You wipe the slate clean at the start of a new year and usually get into achieving a set of goals with much gusto. But as the weeks begin to click by and a bit of normality returns after the Christmas-New Year period then it can be hard to maintain the enthusiasm you started the year with.
But do not give up on yourself yet. There are plenty of ways to keep yourself motivated.
- Get a fitness diary. Start the week by writing down the sessions you plan to do that week and tick them off as you go. If you do not do a session make yourself put a big red cross through it.
- Enlist a friend. There is nothing like peer pressure to keep you on task where your fitness goals are concerned. Arrange to meet each other for some tough workouts and tell yourself you will be letting the other one down if you pull out.
- Enter an event. Doing this will keep you motivated to train as you will want to be prepared for it. It might be a running event, it might be a triathlon, it might be to play sport this year and be fir for it.
- Put yourself on a fitness points system (ie 10 points per session completed) and when you reach a certain amount of points reward yourself with something – maybe a massage or perhaps some new training gear.
- Turn up. Tell yourself you are going to at least turn up to your sessions, even if you do not feel like doing it. Once you are there, most times you will end up doing the session anyway.